The Morgan Church Devotional

a pastor's thoughts about...uhm...stuff

Name:
Location: Morgan, VT., United States

follower of Jesus. husband & father. friend. pastor.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Taste

"Come in here and have a taste
what's one more hopeless case
when your short wave dies and
there's no one to listen
stars grow cold in your solar system"

"taste and see that the LORD is good" writes the Psalmist. or, in other words, "give Him a try". i often suggest that to people...i do so because i'm convinced that walking with Jesus is better than anything. but there's a cavaet...

you can't just "try" Him. you can't come to the table and nibble. you have to experience the full flavor of an entire meal, if you will.

you have to recognise that your life no longer belongs to you...He isn't a genie...He isn't a self help guru...He is God and we belong to Him.

we must live life for His glory--not our own.
we must live life in His way--not our own.
we must live life following His plan--not our own.

because "we are not our own, we were bought with a price".

tough? yep. the hardest thing there is...but the only thing that satisfies.

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."
GK Chesterton

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Lord that that first taste was so unbelievably sweet that I could not resist. Like ambrosia before the main course. There are days that I feel like I'm feasting on brussle sprouts (the worst thing I can think of) and days when it's dry bread and water. Then a overflowing of His sweet refreshing water comes and I'm refreshed again. Our Lord is great.

16:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I am reminded that we are not our own the self in me rebels. I still struggle with control. I want to live for God in every aspect of my life, in my heart, but my will still acts like a raging bull trying to break free. I know that we MUST live for His glory, His way, His plan, but He also designed us to choose wether we do or not. That act of my will becomes my greatest daily battle.

05:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too.

06:09  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home