The Morgan Church Devotional

a pastor's thoughts about...uhm...stuff

Name:
Location: Morgan, VT., United States

follower of Jesus. husband & father. friend. pastor.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

DIG

I had a big idea, I had a crazy eye
I broke the sacred seal
I told a lazy lie
I've had my conscience bent
I've had my patience tried
I've been up in the desert and down by the riverside

Will the eagle fly If the sky's untrue?
Do the faithful sigh Because they are so few?
Remember when I cried? Remember when you knew?
Remember the look in your eyes?
I know I do

And count the stars to measure time
The earth is hard, the treasure fine
To the sea, I'll crawl on my knees

Feel it coming in Feel it going out
Water covers sand Blood covers doubt
So I begin again Again, the healing bow
There was a time when I might have surrendered,
but not now

Consult the cards to measure mine
The earth is hard, but the treasure fine
To the sea, I'll crawl on my knees
and count the stars to measure time
The earth is hard, but the treasure fine
At the sea, I'll wait on my knees

by Gene Eugene RIP

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep reading this and still the meaning eludes me. Could you please help P.Mike?

16:06  
Blogger PMike. said...

i think it's about the struggle we all have with the spiritual and the profane--profane as in common, not necessarily evil.

big idea (good)
crazy eye (bad)
sacred seal (good)
lazy lie (bad)...it runs thru the whole lyric.

but the part that gets me every time i hear it is:

"the earth is hard, the treasure fine"

if digging represtents the spiritual life...it is hard. it's hard to dig (it's hard to live like Jesus)...but when we dig up that treasure...it makes it worth it.

07:33  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home