The Morgan Church Devotional

a pastor's thoughts about...uhm...stuff

Name:
Location: Morgan, VT., United States

follower of Jesus. husband & father. friend. pastor.

Monday, January 30, 2006

A Song of Ascent

"I lift up my eyes to the hills--
where does my help come from?
my help comes from the LORD God
maker of Heaven and the earth.

He will not let your foot slip--
He who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, He who watches over Israel will not slumber nor will He sleep.

the LORD watches over you--
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

the LORD will keep you from all harm--
He will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore."

amen. Psalm 121 is yours.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brings me some comfort, especially when my feet feel leaden and the hill too long. I know that if the need arises He will pull me out. I know that God loves me. That I am thankful for.

08:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is about an old question you asked about what is your idol? and I am glad that somebody said something to the effect of did not have one or the one she/he had wasn't really one, or something like that.

well i have been thinking about it probably every day, and at first I was looking for the one thing and thought I don't have an Idol, until I began to think what makes me discouraged about following God or doing God's work; and then I could name a few! I found I have taken my eyes off God and put them unto a particular thing, issue or person and that is separating me from God and that has become my idol, so it is not one thing in particular but different things that become my idol

19:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what I understand is that an idol isn't necessarily a valuble thing it could even be something that cause strife in my life that takes my focus offof Him. I never considered that the thing in my life that I had come to hate could actually be an idol. That though colors the word "idol" a whole new shade.

17:11  
Blogger PMike. said...

i think what anonymous said is somewhat true...anything that takes your focus off of God is, in some sense, an "idol".

and i guess, to some degree, that's what i was saying in the post...that our "fleshly outbursts" of anger or self pity or lust or some other thing really is an outgrowth of worshipping some "idol" (ie ourselves).

17:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a concept I can grasp and put it to work in my life.

07:20  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home